Pages

Friday, August 12, 2011

Upcycled Candle Holder

Ok, raise your hand if you LOVE Chobani Greek Yogurt.

Thats what I thought. The stuff is the bomb! (no one is paying me to say this, I really just eat a lot of the stuff)
So I bought a cute lantern at Pier 1 on clearance the other day, and picked out a delectable Cilantro Citrus green candle to go along with it.


Sorry for the glare, its sunny here!
As I suspected it would be, the candle was just a smidge too short for the lantern, so I started browsing around the house for a stand to put it on.
Nothing was really working, so I decided to snack on some delicious yogurt and think it over. Hmmm....


Ding Ding Ding!!! After a quick wash, I coated the cup with some spray primer, topped off with a layer of Oil-Rubbed Bronze (ORB) so the lettering wouldn't show through.




I gathered my supplies and got to work!! This project was pretty simple, all I used were some scissors, a roll of twine I grabbed from the Dollar Tree a while back, and my hot glue gun, which brings the total cost to Free!!!!



Starting at the bottom (widest) part of the cup, I glued on the twine and started wrapping it around. I glued down spots here and there when the twine didn't want to lie flush with the previous layer. 


There were a few places where the twine was all knotty and bushy so I just chopped that part out, glued down both ends, and began again. About 15 minutes later...




A big, hairy mess!! So I chopped all the frayed ends off with my scissors, and she was ready to roll!!





Neither of these are the original candles I intended on using. Sad story, my front porch got a little warm and my green candle has melted into an uneven disaster. 
But... the new stand works perfectly for holding Cruzie's memory ball!!


When Cruz passes away in February, we had this blown glass ball made with some of his ashes. You can pick the colors and size. Annie's Healing Hearts in the company, based here in Central Oregon. It was quite expensive, but definitely worth it. We love it. 

Here is the upcycled candle stand in its new home, on a shelf in our dining nook. I am loving it!!


Gotta love a FREE project that utilizes something that was headed for the recycling bin! This stand reminds me so something I'd see in a Ballard catalog. I will definitely be making more, since I still need a stand for my lantern. 

Whats your take on upcycling? Any packaging laying around your house that could be re-purposed? Spill!!!


Sharing this post at House of Hepworths and Tips and Tutorials Tuesday at Home Stories AtoZ!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments = good karma! Let's hear what you've got to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...