Before we bought our house, it lived in our kitchen and stored... NOTHING!!! Except for spiderwebs inside it, fingerprints and doggie nose prints on the doors, and water damage on the top. Joy. When we moved into our current home, it landed in the guest room and recieved a small step up in life, it was used as a bookshelf. One day as I perused blogland, I stumbled across Kate's tutorial on 'How to paint laminate'.
Cue the harps and angels singing from heaven. That very evening I made the Hub help me move it to the garage, and we went to Home Depot and picked up some Zinsser primer. (You must read the label and make sure it says 'will adhere to glossy surfaces'. This is CRITICAL!)
I also removed the old MDF backing on the cabinet, which had more water damage and was covered in a nasty fake wood paper. Yuck.
Sorry there are no in-between pics. I am still a fledgling bloggie lady : )
I did two coats of the Zinsser Primer, and sanded lightly between each. I bought a new piece of MDF for the back, and had Home Depot cut it for me. The scraps will be used for other fun projects.
I scored some 3 yards of some pretty fabric from Joann's, and used spray adhesive to attach to the the MDF, finishing the edges with hot glue. I hadn't chosen a paint color until I found this fabric, which has such rich aqua and brown tones.
Soooo excited!!!! And nerdy.
My weapon of choice for this project
I painted the cabinet with 2 coats of Martha's Lagoon Mist, and finished it with 2 coats of clear Poly. I then used finishing nails to attach the MDF to the back of the cabinet, remounted all of the hardware and doors, screwed in the knobs and BAM!!!
The knobs are from World Market, 2pk was on sale for $4 bucks. Yep.
The shelf isn't bowed, just looks that way from this angle.
So there you have it!! A vast improvement, and another step in my process of learning to update furniture with paint.