Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Urban Farm {June & July}

Hello Hi Hey bloggy land!

Boy! Just when I feel like I can catch up and become decent at blogging regularly, life just rears its head and says, "Ah hell naw!" So I apologize, but here I am with an update on the ol Urban Farm!

Our last update, May, showed the little sprouts / seedlings of our soon to be flourishing garden! These photos were taken in late June.



We are stoked. Things are filling in nicely, although the top bed, which was planted about 4 weeks later than the bottom one, is having a slow start on carrots and beets. I admit that I left the tiny sprouts for one too many days with no water, but I am redeeming myself now! I'm hoping for a September/ October bumper crop utilizing the covers I sewed earlier in the year.

Anyhow, lets catch up to this week!




As you can see, we had out first harvest! The garden is rocking right now! We harvested Curly Kale, Spinach, Sugar Peas, and Heirloom Carrots and made ourselves a salad!



My goodness it was fantastic! We had such a good time in the garden together choosing our veggies as well! Hubs kept getting confused about what veggies were what, since planting and tending to the garden has been largely my job!

It is so nice to finally be able to reap some rewards for my hard work, and it feels great knowing we are eating as local and organic as possible! Hubs even commented how cool it was that the scraps from the veggies went right into our compost, which will be used for next years garden! Circle of life friends! It's worth the hard work and time!

On another garden note, I'm having a bit of trouble with my tomatoes. (Shocking, I'm sure). They are flowering like crazy but not fruiting! So frustrating! Upon further investigation, I've come to realize that there aren't very many bees in our backyard to help with pollination. I purchased some lovely butterfly and bee attracting plants, and I'm hoping that will help! Otherwise I may have to resort to pollinating by hand with a teeny tiny paint brush! It is not below me! I need the tomatoes! So if you have any advice and tips about tomatoes, please spill!

And, lastly, please stop back by tomorrow!! Big big news on the ol Urban Farm... a garden isn't the only thing we've  been growing!!! Are you dying of suspense?! See you tomorrow!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments = good karma! Let's hear what you've got to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...